To create professional looking DVDs you either use free dvd authoring software or its professional version. Generally DVD authoring programs enable you to convert your videos to DVD that can be played on any DVD player. Apart from converting videos you can add menus, titles and buttons on your dvd using DVD authoring software.
Currently, there are best commercially available DVD authoring programs such as Adobe Media Encoder, but before purchasing the paid version it is worth to check out first the following free dvd authoring software. Most of these dvd authoring programs are built with the features we commonly find in the paid versions.
WinX DVD Author
WinX DVD Author is free DVD authoring software capable of creating home video from video files, camcorder, webcam and YouTube. In addition, you can add DVD chapter menu, your favorite music, pictures and subtitle on your DVD.
Features of WinX DVD Author
- Convert and burn all videos to DVD these include MKV, M3TS, M4V, MP4, FLV, MPEG, MOV, RM, RMVB, H.264, AVI
- Powerful decode encoder engine and supports Dolby Digital AC-3 audio
- Supports DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, DVD DL+R, DVD DL+/-RW
- Can download and burn YouTube and website videos
- Supports DVD languages such as English, French, Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, etc
- User friendly interface
Compatibility: Windows 10, 8, 8.1, Windows 7
Website: Winx DVD Author
DeVeDe is open source free DVD authoring software that lets you create DVDs and CDs playable on DVD player.
Features of DeVeDe
- Converts videos to DVD, VCD, SVCD, DivX formats (converts AVI to DVD, MP4 to DVD, MPG to DVD)
- Creates a disk image that can be burn
- Supports many types of Video formats such as mpeg, mpeg4, avi, asf, wmv, ogg and flash videos
- Uses Mplayer, Mencoder, FFMpeg, DVDAuthor, VCDImager and MKisofs to transform videos
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu
DVD Styler is open source and cross-platform free DVD authoring software that enables you to create professional looking DVDs. It also creates individually designed DVD menus and supports most standard video formats.
Key features of DVD Styler
- Create and burn DVD video with menus
- Able to design your own DVD menu or select from list of readymade templates
- Support AVI, MOV, MP4, MPEG, OGG, MMV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MP2, MP3, AC-3
- Creates photo slideshow
- Place button, text, images and other graphical objects on the menu screen
- Customize navigation using DVD scripting and more
Sure, DVD Styler has many more features worth to look for. You can download this free DVD authoring software and use it without hassle.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7/8, Linux and Mac OS X.
DVD Flick is another open source free DVD authoring software that supports more than 45 file formats, over 60 video codecs and over 40 audio codecs. DVD Flick combines multiple movies and burns all of them to a DVD.
The features of DVD Flick include
- Burn any video file type to DVD
- Can add custom audio tracks, menus, subtitles
- Burn your videos to disc after encoding
- Read AviSynth scripts
- Employs powerful FFMPEG project to decode many file formats and codecs
Compatibility: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7/8
Website: DVD Flick
StarBurn is powerful free video authoring software that allows you to grab, burn any audio, video, photo and data files. It supports all multi-media command set compatible CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD devices. The program will take you through the burning process using easy step-by-step wizards.
Features of StarBurn
- Supports CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, BD-R/RE, HD-DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM media, including high-capacity double layer DVD+R and dual layer DVD-R
- Audio processing support
- Supports several types of optical disks such as CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, BD-R/RE, HD-DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM
- Can process audio streams on the-fly, no de-compressing is needed to burn an audio CD from MP3/WMA
- Univeral Disc Format file system support
- Can create bootable CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
- Extract individual data tracks from DVDs and store them as ISO image files on your hard disk
StarBurn is full-fledged free dvd authoring software comes with additional tools other than the basic features.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7/8
Website: StarBurn Dvd Author
Sothink Movie DVD Maker
Movie DVD Maker is all-in-one free DVD authoring software that burns video to DVD. The application creates DVD from almost all video formats. Also, you can make it more personal by adding menus, titles and buttons.
Feature of Movie DVD Maker includes the following
- Create DVD from HD and SD
- Supports wide type of video formats. These include AVI, XviD, DivX, MP4, MPG, MPEG, WMV, ASF, RM, RMVB, MOV, QT, M1V, M2V, M4V, DAT, VOB, MOD, DV, 3GP, 3G2, FLV, F4V, OGM, and H.264/AVC, MKV, M2TS, M2T, MTS, and TS.
- Compatible with all DVD discs and DVD players
- Support PAL and NTSC TV standards
- Free to Edit DVD Movie
- Support multi-core and multi-threading
- Readymade DVD menu templates for decoration
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 7
Website: Sothink Movie DVD Maker
Though most of the features are included in the commercial version, Bombono free DVD authoring software has the capability to author DVD. It is a cross-platform DVD authoring software.
The features of Bombono DVD Free include:
- Accepts AVI, MKV, MOV, MPEG4
- Creates motion menus and support subtitles
- Has WYSIWYG Menu Editor
Compatibility: Windows and Linux
Website: Bombono DVD
DVD Author Plus
DVD Author Plus is the most features packed free DVD authoring software that allows you to create home movies that play on the TV. Not only DVD Author Plus creates movies, you can also create backups of data, movies pictures and audio files from your computer.
DVD Author Plus features
- Convert most common video formats and Create DVD Video discs
- Creates NTSC and PAL formats
- Has different video quality and audio encoding formats
- Burn audio, video and files to Data discs
- Creates multi-session discs
- Can copy and erase discs
- Backup, create and import ISO images
- Supports CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R Dual Layer format and DVD+R Double Layer
Compatibility: Windows XP, Server 2003/2008, Vista, Windows 7
Website: DVD Author Plus
Koyote Free Video to DVD
Free video to DVD converter is simple and easy to use software that can convert and burn your finished videos to DVD. This free dvd authoring software can also save as an ISO image file. Free Video to DVD converter can re-encode any video files and made in to a standard DVD Video disk that can be played on any PC and home DVD player.
Feature of Koyote Free Video to DVD
- Convert AVI, MP4, MPEG, DivX to DVD
- Supports many popular formats such as AVI, DivX, XviD, MPEG, MP4, VOB, WMV
- Aspect ratio, bitrate, NTSC, PAL configuration capability
- Records CD Recordable (CDR) and CD Re-recordable (CDRW) discs (and DVD and BD equivalents)
Website: Free video to DVD
iDVD is Mac compatible free DVD authoring software that lets you create Hollywood-style DVDs. iDVD comes with lots of DVD menus and templates. Using iDVD, you can incorporate your own movies, photos and music and burn it to a DVD for viewing on a TV or on a computer. iDVD works together with iMovie, Macs movie editor software. If you are using Mac, it is installed with as part of Macs iLife suite.
Features of iDVD include
- Customize the iDVD menus
- Add titles, menu text, buttons, transitions, soundtrack, Drop zones
- Organize your project in Map View
- Make and customize slideshows
- Burn and play a DVD
- Can bring media from other iLife applications
- Support DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL media types
Compatibility: Only Mac OSX
Windows live movie maker + Windows DVD Maker
Live Movie maker is video editing software that lets you create professional looking videos. Using Windows Live Movie Maker, you can create, edit and add titles, credits and other transition and special effects. You can read more about it here.
Once you finish your video, you then can burn it to DVD using Windows DVD Maker. Both applications are already installed Windows 7.
AVStoDVD is free dvd authoring software that allows to convert many types of formats to DVD. You can edit video and audio using AviSynth, Video and Audio encoding using QuEnc, HCEnc, ReJig. You can add subtitles to the videos and create ISO images.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 7
SmallDVD is simple and free DVD authoring software designed for Mac OSX. It will take video files and create images of DVD that can be easily burnt using Disk Utilitiy. It creates a DVD with multiple files, simple menu with static background image.
TO use this Mac OSX compatible utility, you should download iMagine Photo.
Compatibility: Mac OSX