Free embroidery software allows you to create and design embroidery crafts such as beautiful gifts, decorative fabric, etc. In simple terms, Embroidery is the art of making decorative designs using needles or embroidery machine.
Currently there are only few embroidery programs available for free. Here I have compiled the list; if you know any other free program that should be listed here, we will be happy to let us know on the comment area.
My Editor is a free embroidery design software that allows you to view and modify embroidery files and save as in any of the supported file formats. It enables you to view designs, actual thread colors, make changes and add information in them.
Key features of My Editor (publisher’s description)
- Open and edit .NGS files
- Support different embroidery machine file formats
- Include complete advanced stitch editor
- Preview the designs on different materials
- Preview the design in 3D
- Has tools such as resize, rotate, array, merge, copy, paste and special functions (thread trim, stop, sequin, applique, needle up etc)
- Support adding sequins on specific stitches of the design and change their shape and size
- Can email the design, export the embroidery in many formats such as .JPG, .PNG, .TIFF, or .BMP image file
- Auto adjust the density of stitch when resizing
- Include embroidery design database tool with search
- Support customization of workspace and color
- Include editing tools such as group, ungroup, cut, copy, and paste
- Includes numerous Thread color palettes
- Removes stitches from the design by specifying length rage
- Produce detailed print out of the embroidery design
Compatibility: Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7
Website: My Editor
Stitch Era Universal
Stitch Era Universal is multi-featured and free embroidery software that creates embroidery designs. The software includes many advanced features other than the basic ones. The software supports Format conversion, embroidery simulation, pre-digitized and true-type font lettering, stitches edition, automatic creation of designs from images, etc.
Main features of Stitch Era Universal (publisher’ description)
- Support different digitizing modes including standard and manual
- Support auto trace and auto digitizing
- Include sizable and editable geometric and auto shapes
- Supported input methods and fill stitches include path with manual and running stitches, path w/Zig Zag, E, EE, SQ, path w/programmable stitches, column, area w/uniforms, area/w applique, Area w/ Elastic programmable stitches, etc.
- Support fill stitches adjustment and effects including stitch selection by fabric, underlay stitches and setting, types, corner types, Jagged edges, color grading and blending, sweep stitches angle on path Zig Zag, path width, etc.
- Support wireframe editing of object blocks (selection, cut, copy, paste, delete, resize, rotate, mirror, repeat block of objects, align block of objects, group block of objects, etc.
- Support expanded stitch by stitch editing, this include selection stitch by click, by block color, by object recognition, move, delete, add stitches, machine command (add, delete and edit), (cut, copy, paste, delete, move, rotate, scale blocks)
- Has block processing tools such as filter, smooth, scale, change block properties
- Include pre-digitized motifs, pre-digitized lettering fonts, monogramming fonts, graphic patterns
- Open/export vector and raster graphic and image files
Compatibility: Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7
Website: Stitch Era Universal
Bernina ArtLink 6
Bernina is also a free embroidery software comes with useful features which enables you to design, edit and embroider motifs.
Key features of Bernina Artlink 6 (Publisher’s description)
- Features a hoop selection function which enables to specify the embroidery hoop
- Support Grid view that helps to align and edit selected embroidery design
- Includes redraw functions which helps to display stitching sequence on PC screen
- Alter and correct the stitching sequence before embroidering
- Provide range of editing tools that allow to edit embroidery design in Artistic view (rotate, resize, mirror, Zoom)
- Support customization (preview, thread color changes)
- Print out the chosen motif in its original size
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8
Website: Bernina Artlink 6
Designed particularly for home users, SophieSew is intelligent and free embroidery digitizing and editing package that enables you design and create embroidery products. It has an objected oriented approach to embroidery design. The software is still in the developing stage, you therefore should refer back often for new updates and improvements.
Main features of SophieSew digitizing software
- Create designs on the worksheet in the form of objects
- Assemble simple objects into larger objects (running stitches, fill regions)
- Cut, copy, duplicate, delete, rotate, resize and position individual design elements
- Arrange design elements into many different combinations
- Each embroidery elements have properties which can be manipulated or changed
- Embroidery designs are scalable
- Allows you to easily change the order in which your design can be stitched out on an embroidery machine
- Can preview your design in 3D
- Export finished designs to several industry standard embroidery machine formats
- Import most standard file format into its own form of non-scalable embroidery object
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8.1
Website: SophieSew (www.sophiesew.com
Embroidermodder is simple and free embroidery software which enables you to create design and tweak existing design. It comes with many advanced features and fully customizable to fit your workflow.
Main features of Embroidermodder
- Enables you to realize your design with realistic 3D rendering
- Include various grid types and auto-adjusting rulers including rectangular, circular and isometric grids
- Comes with many measurement tools that enable you to locate individual points or find distance between any 2 points
- Add text to any design or create one from scratch
- Support wide variety of embroider formats as well as several vector formats including SVG and DXF
- Support batch conversion which enables you to send a client several different formats
- Allows you to create your own custom commands using Scripting API
Compatibility: cross platform, works on Windows, Max OS, Linux
Website: Embroidermodder (www.embroidermodder.org)
TrueSizer Desktop is Wilcom’s free embroidery program designed on the same Wilcom’s TrueSizer Pro software. The developer has tree editions of embroidery programs: TrueSizer Web (works online), TrueSizer Desktop and TrueSizer Pro. TrueSizer Pro incorporated both basic and advanced features.
Main features of TrueSizer Desktop
- View, modify entire design, read and convert all major embroidery file types: emb, emt, art, amt, jan, jmt, cnd, gnc, inp, pch.
- Open and save .emb, object designs
- Open Stitch format designs with default and custom settings
- Save stitch format designs with default and custom settings
- Display embroidery designs
- Display graphics, print, non-embroidery decoration
- Save design as image file
- Display embroidery size
- Configure grids, rulers, display design colors
- Print design worksheet with summary thread color details
- Allows you to email designs from within or outside the application
Compatibility: Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 (support 32 and 64-bits)
Website: TrueSizer Desktop (www.wilcom.com)