Here are free mind map software that helps you to visualize, arrange, and organize your thinking and work easily. In addition, Mind Mapping is one of the method used to enhance learning experience, improve understanding and memory by visualizing information through charts, diagrams and maps.
Written in Java, FreeMind is one of the popular and premier mind map software that allows you to organize your ideas using graphical structure of nodes and branches.
Features of FreeMind software
- create fully developed mind map
- keep track of different things, keep collections of notes with links, keep small database with structure, store HTML links in the nodes and more
- Easy control of folding and fast one-click navigation
- Create, move and format nodes and edges
- Support smart Drag and Drop
- Stores Maps in XML format (RTF, Word pad, Word, outlook messages)
- Support smart copying and pasting
- Export your mind map to HTML
- Include script editor, Calendar and reminders
- View your mind maps in three modes: File, Mind and Browse mode
- decorate nodes with built-in icons, colors and different fonts
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, Mac OS X, Linux,
Website: FreeMind Mind Mapping software
XMind Free is an open source and free mind map software which helps you to clarify thinking, manage complex information, brainstorm ideas and organize your works without hassle. The software comes in three versions: XMind Free, XMind Plus and XMind Pro. Some important features such as exporting to PDF, word, PPT, Excel, creative Toolbox, Brainstorming Mode, presentation mode, Gant view are not included in the free version. XMind comparison
Main features of XMind free
- Support all kind of diagrams
- Comes with mind Mapping structure and idea brain storming tools
- Offers Organization chart, Tree-chart, Logic-chart, etc
- Create fishbone chart (Cause and Effect diagram)
- Support Mind Toolbox, these include Relationship, Boundary, Summary, Label, Marker Notes tools
- Support Local Network Sharing which means it allows you to share your XMind file across locally shared computers
- Allows you to publish and share your mind maps on web
Compatibility: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, It also requires Java Virtual Machine (free)
Website: XMind Free mind mapping software
Edraw Mind Map
Edraw is a free mind map software that enables you to create mind maps, flow charts, project timeline, SWOT analysis, sketch maps, brain storm diagrams and more. It also includes examples and templates to make things easier for you.
The software is for non-commercial use only. Once you get familiar yourself with the free edition, you can download the pro edition – Edraw Max for more features.
Features of Edraw
- Create mind maps using different mind map layouts
- Layout mind map shapes easily
- Support big size maps and collapsible topics
- Support multiple page mind map document and hyperlinks
- Include themes, effects and styles
- Align and add multiple topics at the same time
- Can be used with Microsoft Office applications
Compatibility: Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, Vista, Windows 7 and 8 (support 32 & 64 bits)
Website: Edraw Mind Map Freeware
MindMaple Lite is free mind map software that helps you to visualize and organize your thoughts and ideas and convert into a mind map. MindMaple is feature packed program suitable for project management, concept mapping, brainstorming and task scheduling.
Key features of MindMaple
- Create mind maps from your thoughts
- Add and move topics easily
- Support attaching and managing your tasks and integrate into your maps
- Add relationships, boundaries, hyperlinks and files to the mind map
- Support personalizing your mind map using colors, images, and clip arts
- Support exporting your mind maps to different formats including Word, PDF Excel, PowerPoint, HTML, etc
- Allows you to import from other similar mind map programs such as FreeMind and MindManagers
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 (support 32 & 64-bits), Mac OS X, iOS
Website: MindMaple Lite
ThoughtStack is a free mind map software that helps you to organize your thoughts. It is great for note taking, brainstorming, planning and idea organization.
Key features of ThoughStack
- Enter thoughts into folder tree structure
- Support hotkey system to be controlled by the keyboard
- Support Multi-line edit and search in trees
- Support many streams on the go at once
- Priorities are changeable in tree
Compatibility: Windows, Unix, Mac OS X
Website: ThoughtStack Mind map
FreePlane is also an open source and free mind map software comes with basic and advanced features. FreePlane creates, remembers, stores, shares and view your mind maps.
Other than the basic mind map functions it features important tools that are not found in other similar Mind Mpa programs. These include script, add-ons, format Panel, formulas, freely positionalbe nodes and different export.
Key features of FreePlane
- Allows you to Brainstorm, analyze, organize and filer your thinking
- Support note taking, order ideas into hierarchy
- Classify and group nodes
- Support free position able nodes
- Format node core and structure nodes in terms of content
- Protect the whole or individual mind maps with password
- Filter, sort mind maps
- Include Templates, Styles, script, addons, spell check and academic writing suite
- Support tasking with reminders and calendars and more
Compatibility: Runs on any Operating System (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc), current version of Java must be installed.
Website: FreePlane Mind Map