Like the professional photo editors, most popular free photo editing software allows you to optimize and give artistic effect to your digital pictures. We may not find the full featured tools and functions we commonly find in the professional photo editing software. But, free photo editing programs are still capable of manipulating your photos. Some of the most common feature of these free photo editors includes color correction, noise correction, brightness and image sharpness correction, combining different images, etc. Also you can crop, rotate, mirror and add effects to your photo as you like.
Whether you want to give fresh touch to your existing photos or want to edit a photo that can be uploaded to your blog or website, the following free photo editing software lets you do that freely.
Comes with a wide variety of useful and powerful tools, Paint.NET is Windows compatible free photo editing software. It is one of the best photo editing programs available for free. Paint.NET not only includes basic photo editing tools, it also incorporates feature (ex. Layering) we usually find in advanced software.
Key features of Paint.net
- Includes simple tools for drawing shapes (can draw splines or Bezier curves)
- Includes Powerful tools such as layers, Gradient tool, Magic Wand, Clone Stamp, Zooming, Recoloring
- Has simple text editor
- Has many special effects: blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, embossing
- Unique 3D Rotate/Zoom capability
- Adjustment tools such as brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves and levels
- Convert image to black and white or sepia-toned
Paint.NET is simple and easy to learn free photo editing software packed with important image editing tools. Check it! It is 100% free software.
Compatibility: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7
Photo Pos Pro Photo Editor
Photo Pos Pro Photo Editor is a free photo editing software built in with advanced image enhancing and editing tools and functions. You can improve, repair and give extra touch to your photos. Other editing your photos, this software helps to create computer graphics. Photo Pos Pro has the ability to create pictures with several layers and supports many picture file types.
The key features
- Supports advanced photo editing tools (eg. layer, masks, gradient, patterns, texture)
- Tools for precision repair and editing
- Includes rich text tools (add text along paths)
- Can add special effects
- Script tools and batch operations
- Convert picture file formats
- Supports digital camera and scanners
Photo Pos Pro Photo editor is a free photo editing program that offers so many features. It is now available freely.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
Website: Photo Pos Pro Photo editor
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is free photo editing software ideal for photo retouching, composition and image authoring purpose.
Features of GIMP
- Has customizable interface
- Includes photo enhancement tools: channel mixer, fix perspective distortion, correction, barrel distortion and vignetting, transform tools
- Support advanced photo retouching tools: clone and healing
- Multi-platform software
- Supports several types of file formats. These include, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, PSD etc.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Sun OpenSolaris, FreeBSD
Magix Photo Designer
Magix Photo Designer is fast, easy and free photo editing software that allows you to do basic photo editing such as optimizing, retouching and correction.
Features of Magix Photo Designer
- Optimization capability including exposure, contrast, color sharpness, horizon leveling
- Includes advanced brightness correction: shadows, middle tones, lights, white balance
- Allows to crop, scale, rotate and photos
- Red-eye correction
- Over 60 creative effect artistic filters
- Creates Panorama montages by combining individual images
- Creates funny photo caricatures
- Swap colors and create collages using object masks, cropping, magic wand, lasso
- Repair photos and remove scratches, rips and stains
- Enter and edit text
- Import JPEG, BMP, TIFF, GIF, PSD (with layers), PNG, RLE, DIB, TGA, IFF, LBM, RAS, PCX, EMF, WMF, PPM, PGM, PBM, PhotoCD
- Export JPEG, BMP, TIFF, PSD (with levels), PNG, TGA, RAS, PPM, PGM, PCX
As you can see, Magix Photo Designer has many photo editing tools. You can download and try this awesome free photo editing software.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista (32 and 64-bits), Windows 7 (32 and 64-bits)
Website: Magix Photo Designer
Photoscape is one of the popular free photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance photos. Other than editing your photos, Photoscape can capture your screenshot, view photos, create slideshow and animated photo.
Features of Photoscape include
- Photo editing tools include resizing, color and brightness adjustment, balloons, color correction, mosaic mode, adding text, drawing pictures, cropping, filters, red eye removal, clone stamp, paint brush and effect brush
- Support batch editing
- Combine multiple photos
- Slice photos into several pieces
- Convert RAW to JPG
- Color picker and Face Search which helps to search similar images from internet
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
PhotoPlus Starter Edition
PhotoPlus Starter Edition is a slimmed version of the professional PhotoPlus editor from Serif. This free photo editing program comes with limited but must-have tools that allow you to edit and enhance your pictures.
Key feature of PhotoPlus Starter Edition
- Repair old and damaged photos
- Remove red-eye, whiten teeth, smooth skin and more
- Adjust levels, curvers, brightness, contrast etc
- Paint and blend with artistic brushes
- Import and edit common image formats
Compatibility: Windows XP (32bit), Windows Vista, 7 and 8
Website: PhotoPlus Starter Edition
PhotoPad Photo Editor
PhotoPad Photo Editor is a free photo editing software built in with basic digital photo manipulation tools. PhotoPad can create collages and photo mosaics. When you have finished editing, you can upload it directly to Facebook or Flicker.
Feature of PhotoPad includes:-
- Crop, rotate, resize and flip digital photos
- Remove red-eye and blemishes
- Adjust color, saturation, brightness and contrast
- Many effects such as sepia tones, vignette, gray scale, blur etc.
- Add captions and texts
- Support industry standard file formats
- Easy modification or deletion of individual effects in the layer list
- Easy and user friendly interface
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8
Website: PhotoPad Photo Editor