Using free text to speech software you can convert any text from MS Word, webpages, emails and PDF into speech sound. Not only convert to audio files, you can let TTS software to read a text for you rather than reading on a computer screen. Once a text is converted into audio format, you can listen to the audio files using iPods, iPhones, MP3 players and other portable audio devices.
Here is a list of text to speech software complied for you
Speakonia is free text to Speech software that can save text to into sound files. It is the most downloaded software in the free voice recognition software of CNET. The software is particularly useful for converting text into sound formats.
Features of Speakonia
- Reads text aloud, the reading can be paused and resumed
- Fetch webpages and read aloud for you
- Converts sound files in the MP3 format
Compatibility: Windows 95/NT/98/Me/2000 and Windows XP
TTSReader is full featured free text to speech software that allows you to read text aloud. It is mainly ideal for reading documents, emails, e-books or any on-screen text.
Features of TTSReader
- Can read documents to WAV or MP3 files that can be made available on portable devices
- Support for both SAPI4 and SAPI5 voices
- Support rich text formatting
Compatibility: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP, Server 2003, Vista and Windows 7
iSpeech is free text to speech software that allows you listen to any text content. Unlike other TTS readers, iSpeech is web based, no software download is required. You just simply cut and paste the text you want to convert to speech into iSpeech text box and click ‘Convert text’ button. The weak side of the free version of iSpeech is that it allows you to read for limited time. And to use the service, free registration is required.
Features of iSpeech text to speech software
- Convert digital documents and text to voice enabled audio files
- Can upload any document, e-books, blog, webpage or feed and convert to audio files
- Auto-play the converted documents
- Can download in MP3, podcast, and embed it as an object on any webpage
- Support Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Acrobat, Rich Text File, Blogs, RSS news feeds, hypertext markup languages
Website: iSpeech text to speech software
Ultra Hal Text-to-Speech Reader
Ultra Hal free text to speech software helps to read your documents out loud. It is beneficial for visually impaired person or for anyone who want proof read documents to spot and correct mistakes. Ultra Hal Text-to-Speech reader is also used for reading books.
Features of Ultra Hal Text-to-Speech
- Read all standard Windows dialog box messages out loud
- Read email and web sites you visit
- Speak incoming instant messages out loud
- Compatible with the AOL, AIM, ICQ, and MSN Messenger clients
- Write audio data directly to Windows WAV files
- Convert documents and e-books into MP3 and WAV files
- Built-in with high quality voices
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
Website: Ultra Hal Text-to-Speech Reader
Free NaturalReader 11
NaturalReader provides four versions of text to speech software: free version, personal version, professional version and ultimate version. The free text to speech software version has many limitations comparing to the others, however, you can still use it to listen to any text on your PC.
Main features of NaturalReader 11 Free version
- Convert any text into spoken words
- Support Microsoft Word, PDF, webpages, emails
- Change reading voices and adjust speed
- Employs one-click technology, just select any text and press on hot key to start the reading
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and Mac
Website: NaturalReader 11 free version
Language Reader is free text to speech software that provides a richer on-screen reading experience with multilingual voices enabled. Language reader employs existing speech technologies.
Features of Language Reader
- Read text using Microsoft text-to-speech technology
- Support multilingual voices (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Russain, Japanese, Korean)
- Support document formats including Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, RTF, Excel, PowerPoint, HTML, TXT
- Simple and easy interface
- Download and install required Microsoft Speech
Compatibility: Windows 98/ME/NT/2000, XP, Server 2003/2008, Windows Vista, 7 and 8
Website: Language Reader
Balabolka is a free text to speech software that can read on-screen text and save into popular audio formats. Balabolka uses all computer voices installed on a computer and various versions of Microsoft Speech API.
Features of Balabolka text-to-speech software
- Save text as WAV, MP3, MP4, OGG or WMA file
- View text from AZW, AZW3, CHM, DjVu, DOC, PDF, RTF, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, MOBI, ODT and PRC files
- Customizable font and background color
- Reading control features (system tray or by global hotkeys)
- Allows to alter voice’s parameters such as rate and pitch
- Save synchronized text in external LRC files
- Support multiple languages
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, windows 7 and 8
Website: Balabolka TTS software
eSpeak is an open source and speech synthesizer software that works on Windows and Linux. This free text to speech software uses a “formant synthesis” method which allows many languages to be provided in a small size. The software is available in four formats: as a command line program, as shared library version, as a SAP15 and ported to Solaris and Mac OSX platforms.
Features of eSpeak text to speech software
- Includes different voices
- Save output as WAV format
- Translate text into phoneme that can be adapted as a front end for another speech synthesis engine
- Supports several languages
Compatibility: Windows, Linux and Mac OSX
Website: eSpeak speech synthesizer
ReadPlease is another free text to speech software that can read text from web pages, e-mail, or clipboard. The product is discontinued from the publisher, but still can be downloaded from CNET.
Features of ReadPlease include
- Read any text file or Rich Text Format file directly from the internet
- Uses Microsoft speech engine to read texts
- Allows to change color, font and text size
Compatibility: Windows 2000, XP and Vista
Text to WAV
Text to WAV is a free text to speech software that converts text into AVI or MP3 with lyrics. The software uses SAPI4.0, SAPI5.1 or Microsoft Speech Platform.
The features of Text to WAV
- Read aloud other software using IE component
- Convert text into html, WAV, MP3 files
Compatibility: Windows ME/2000/XP/Vista and Windows 7
Website: Text to WAV
SmartRead is free text to speech software which can read text using different voices. These include English voices, English voice for XP, simplified Chinese voices. The features include, convert to MP3 and SWF (flash) files, read aloud XSR file, improve volume setting, download speech voices, read text to WAV file, and control the text process and holding functions. It has also upgrade online function and repair function as well.
Compatibility: Windows 98/ME/NT/2000, XP, Server 2003 and Vista
If you want to use online text to speech converter, you can use Text2Speech. It allows you to convert any text you enter to voices and save it in MP3 format. It also allows you to select the desired voice type and volume scale before converting.