Despite some editing function limitations, free video editing software is still capable of editing any video. Particularly if you are a beginner or a student to do school project or edit video to upload to YouTube or want to learn how video editing software works, starting with the free version is an ideal way.
Video editing involves rearranging, adding, merging, removing video and audio clips, adding special effects, correcting color combination, adding subtitles and more. Here I have listed the best free video editing software you may be interested in, go and check out yourself.
VideoPad Free Editor
VideoPad is a free video editing software from NCH Software. It is a full feature editing program for creating professional looking videos. If you want a video editor that does more than the normal ways, VideoPad is one of them. You can drag and drop video clips for easy editing, apply transitions and effects. VideoPad is also one of the fastest video stream processor.
Features of VideoPad Editor includes:-
- Capture video from webcam, DV camcorder, VHS
- Import most video format such as AVI, WMV, 3GP, DIVx
- Several types of visual and transitions effects
- You can create videos for HD, DVD, YouTube
- Imports and mix music tracks and use sound effects and supports narration
- Has complete video optimization tools such as color and visual effect tuning, slowdown and speed up or reverse playback of video clips, reduce camera shake, add photos and more
- You can share the video through burning to DVD, upload to YouTube, save to PSP, iPod, iPhone or 3GP and export movies in standard definition or full HD
- Imports several types of file formats: avi, mpeg, wmv, divX, Xvid, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, mp4, mov, vob, ogm, .3gp, H.264, RM and more
- Import images (bmp, gif, jpg, jpeg, png, tif, tiff, psd, tga, pcx ) and audio (wav, mp3, mp2, mpga, m4a, ogg, avi, mid, flac, aac, wma, au, aiff, ogg, raw, dvf, vox, cda)
Sure, this free video editing software comes with advanced features that makes video editing a fun, interesting and easier. Download and see it yourself
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8. Earlier versions support Windows 98/ME/2000
Website: VideoPad Free Video Editor
Lightworks is professional level video editor which is built-in with advanced and latest tools. This free video editing software edits, trim and add special effects to your videos. The software is used by Oscar winning editors. Some of the famous movies from Hollywood such as Departed and more recent movie, The King’s speech and concert film, Celebration Day are edited by Lightworks.
The interface of Lightworks is quite different from most video editing programs. However, using the guides and tutorials available from its website, you will make yourself familiar with it soon.
Key features of Lightworks
- Video capture and import capability
- Resolution, format and codec independent timeline
- Support color correction and layering
- Supports wide range of industry standard media formats DVCAM / DVCPRO 25/DVCPRO 50/DVCPRO HD Decode and Encode, MPEG 422 SD/HD MOV HD/SD export, OMF Import and Export, BMP, JPEG, PNG, PSD, TGA, Compressed TGA, TIFF Decode and Encode
- Can move, copy, and merge the files easily
- Edit and export HD Movies
- GPU accelerated real time effects
- Can save the changes automatically and backup edited videos
- Can edit media in any stereoscopic format and more
- Video output via secondary graphics display port
- Full screen playback
If you want free video editing software that incorporates all the tools you need for producing professional movie, Lightworks is one of them.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Website: Lightworks Video Editor
Started in college to do some quick screen capture and encoding, VirtualDub is free video editing software built-in with basic video editing features such as trim, and cleanup video.
Features of VirtualDub video editing free software include:
- Mainly process AVI files, it can also read MPEG-1 but do not write
- Handles sets of BMP images
- Make simple and clean edits
- Batch-processing capability for processing large number of files
Compatibility: Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista and Windows 7 (support 32-bit and 64-bit)
Website: VirtualDub Video Editor
MoviePlus Starter Edition
MoviePlus Starter Edition is a free video editing software comes with lots of video editing tools and capability. Using MoviePlus you can import, manage, edit and export your video easily. Particularly, if you are a beginner, the software will take you through all the basic process of video editing. The starter edition is available freely but requires free registration.
Features of MoviePlus Starter Edition
- Import media from USB mass storage devices such as hard drive, memory and flash drive or CD/DVD as well as drag and drop
- Trim and cut video clips to preferred length
- Support video transparency
- Uses Dolby Digital to encode and compress audio
- Add titles, captions and credits as separate text clips or as overlaid text
- Offers built-in and customizable transitions
- Customizable Video and audio effects
- Can upload your movie to your YouTube account
Even though other advanced features are built-in with the commercial version, you can edit your movie and give it professional look using MoviePlus free video editing software.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
Website: Movie Plus Free Video Editor
Wax is general purpose and flexible free video editing software which can be used to compose and add special effects to your videos. The software can be used as a standalone application or as a plug-in to other video editing programs such as Adobe Premiere.
Wax video editing free software main features are the following:-
- Can create 2D and 3D special effects
- Unlimited video and audio tracks with top-down compositing
- Plugin Adapter technology (load and use DirectX plugins, Freeframe plugins and Windows Movie maker
- Input formats include AVI, WAV and all popular image formats
- Output formats include AVI, MPEG, WAV, Flash and all popular image formats
- Support compression for AVI and WAV formats, to see other feature you can download for free.
Compatibility: All Windows Platform
Website: WAX Movie Editor
Avidemux is a free video editing software designed for simple video cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. One of the best features of Avidemux is that it supports many files types.
The features include:-
- Supports AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASD
- Uses many types of codecs
- Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities
Compatibility: Windows, Linux, BSD and Mac OS X
Website: Avidemux Video Editing Software
Windows Live Movie Maker
Comes with Windows Live Essentials, Windows Live Movie Maker is a free video editing software which make a movie from photos and videos on your computer. This Movie Maker is an updated version of old Microsoft movie makers.
Features of Windows Live Movie Maker
- Import videos and photos from digital camera, flash memory card, DVDs and mobile phone
- Edit movies with the built in tools
- Add, Trim, Split videos and audios
- Adds titles, credits, several types of transitions and special effects
- Has AutoMovie theme
- Supports several types of video, audio and image file formats.
- You can save the movie on your computer, mobile and portable devices, send to email, record on DVD or upload on YouTube.
Video file types: .wmv, .asf, .wm, .m2ts, .mts, .m2t, .mov, .qt, .avi, .dvr-ms, .wtv, .mp4, .m4v, .3gp, .k3g, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpe, .m1v, .mp2, .mpv2, .mod, .vob, .m2t, .m1v and more.
Audio Files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .aif, .aiff, .wav, .m4a, .mp3
Photo Files: .jpg, .jpeg, .jfif, .jpe, .tif, .tiff, .gif, .bmp, .dib, .rle, .ico, .icon, .png and HD photos files.
Compatibility: Movie Maker 2011 is compatible with Vista SP2 (32 and 64-bit) and Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit) whereas Movie Maker 2012 is only compatible with Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit)
Website: Windows Live Movie Maker
Microsoft Movie Maker
There are two types of Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft. These are XP and Vista compatible free video editing software. XP compatible Video Maker installs with XP Service Pack 2 whereas the Vista version comes with Windows Vista operating system package. Both beginners and intermediate video editors benefit using these free programs. Both built in with both basic and advanced video editing tools Most of the features in both versions are similar except some file formats are supported in Vista version.
The most common features of Movie maker include:-
- Captures video and audio files from digital video camera, existing video and audio including images. Imports video files: .asf, .avi, .dvr-ms, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, .wmv. Audio Files: .aif, .aifc, .aiff, .asf, .au, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .snd, .wav, .and .wma. Image files: .bmp, .dib, .emf, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff and .wmf.
- Can import several clips at once
- Can add titles, credits, video transitions and special effects
- Can publish the finished movie to your computer, burn to a CD/DVD, send to an email, or record movie to a videotape in a digital video camera
Even though we don’t compare to professional video editing software, Movie Maker is completely free video editing software that can edit and publish your videos, try it.
Compatibility: Windows Vista
AVS Video Editor
AVS Video editor is a free video editing software that can trim, cut, split, merge, rotate and mix your videos. It also has several types of video effects and transitions from which you can choose and apply. Inserting menus, audio, text comments and subtitles are also possible.
Features of AVS Video Editor includes:-
- Manage popular and various video formats. These include AVI, VOB, MP4, DVD, WMV, MKV, and more. AVS editor also manages HD-Video editing.
- It can processes Blu-Ray Videos, save files in any key video formats or burn your videos on Blu-ray discs
- AVS Video editor captures videos from DV, web or VHS camera
- You can easily share produced videos to Flickr, MySpace etc directly from the interface of AVS Video editor
- Comes in Multilingual Support
Compatibility: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and 8
Website: AVS Video Editor