Like the professional anti-virus software, free virus removal software is powerful in detecting and removing viruses and malwares from your computer. But if you compare the two versions, it is obvious that the commercial version of AV program has many advanced features.
If you like free things like me or can’t afford to buy commercial anti-virus program, the following best free anti virus software keeps your computer data from malware threats.
AVG Free Edition 2013
AVG Free Edition is one of the best free virus removal software downloaded and used by many users. It actually is the No# 1 downloaded software in anti-virus program group at CNet. The latest version features advanced tools that increases PC security. It has different types of individual components that works together to protect your PC: Anti-virus, LinkScanner, E-mail protection, Anti-Rootkit and Identity Protection.
Features of AVG Free free virus removal software
- Protects your PC from all known types of viruses and spyware including sleeping and non-active malware
- Real-time protection when browsing the internet (both from malicious websites and viruses and spyware)
- Built in with e-mail scanner that is responsible for scanning every email message sent and received
- Detect and remove dangerous rootkits (rootkit is a program made to control operating system without your knowledge and autorization)
- Has Identity Protection that enables you prevent from new and unknown threats (monitors all processes and behavior patterns)
- Built in with PC Analyzer that allows analyzing the speed and overall performance of your PC. The analysis includes Registry Errors, Junk Files, Fragmentation and Broken Shortcuts and fixes them accordingly. This feature requires AVG PC Tuneup.
- Runs at the background without affecting PC performance
- Virus definitions are updated automatically and continuously
- You can schedule scans
- Include different options of scan: Whole computer, Specific files or folders and on demand scans
- Easy installation and user friendly interface
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8 (32 and 64-bits)
Website: AVG Free Edition
Avast Free Anti-virus
Avast Anti-virus is also world’s most popular and free virus removal software. According to the developers, it is now protecting 177+ million PCS, Macs and Mobiles. It ranks No# 1 at CNET’s download.com in Antivirus software group. The free version is only for personal and non-commercial use.
Features of Avast Free virus removal software
- Detects and blocks spyware and viruses
- Fast scanning speed and don’t affect computer performance
- Real-time anti-rootkit protection
- Includes heuristic engine
- Automatic processing and real-time incremental virus database updates
- Features AutoSandbox which helps to identify suspicious applications and run them in safe environment. It also includes browser sandboxing
- Support remote assistance and boot time scanner
- Runs along with other anti-virus programs
- Easy to use and user friendly interface
- Internet protection and real time shields. These include file system, mail, web, P2P, Network, script and behavior shield.
- Schedule scanning
- Support multi-threaded scanning optimization
Compatibility: Windows 2000 SP4, XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7 and 8 (both 32 and 64-bits are supported) and Mac
Website: Avast Free Anti-Virus
Avira Free Anti-Virus
Avira Free Anti-Virus is one of the top ten and trusted free virus removal software. Avira provides complete protection of your data by removing malware including viruses, worms, Trojans, keep your PC against the latest threats.
Features of Avira Free Anti-virus
- Provides real-time protection from all types of malware
- Blocks and remove spyware and adware
- New definitions and updates are checked every six hours
- Has Webguard feature, but you must install Avira toolbar to enable it
- Browser tracking blocker and website safety advisor, included in Avira Toolbar
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Website: Avira Free Anti-Virus
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
The free version of Malwarebytes is designed based on powerfull technology that enables to detect and remove all types of malware including Trojans, worms, spyware, rootkits and more. This free virus removal software comes with advanced malware detection and removal. The developers claim that it removed 5 Billion malware.
Features of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (Publisher’s Description)
- Quick response malware database and Heuristics update
- Multi-language support
- Remove existing malware infections
- Chameleon Technology Gets Malwarebytes Running on Infected Systems
- Has email and forum support
Compatibility: Windows XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Website: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Microsoft Security Essentials
Built for individuals and small businesses, Microsoft Security Essentials is a free virus removal software that detect and remove viruses, worms, Trojans and spyware. It also keeps your PC updated to protect your computer from new threats. This award-winning software is free, easy to install and use, but your PC must run genuine Windows.
Features of Microsoft Security Essentials
- Real-time protection and notify when new threats run or install on your PC
- Prevents suspicious files and programs from opening
- Support scheduled and on demand full system scan
- Supports three scanning options: Quick, Full and Custom scan
- Integrates Windows Firewall
- Dynamic Signature service
- Support rootkit protection
- Runs quietly without affecting PC performance
Compatibility: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista (SP1 or SP2), Windows 7
Website: Microsoft Security Essentials
Panda Cloud Antivirus free edition
Panda Cloud anti-virus is a free virus removal software that protects your computer from viruses and malicious websites. It is a simple and light but effective in detecting and disinfecting viruses and threats.
Features of Panda Cloud free edition
- Real-time protection from virus and spyware
- Support Behavioral detection
- Process monitor
- Web and URL filtering capability
Compatibility: Windows XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7 and 8 (32 and 64-bit)
Website: Panda Cloud Anti-virus
PC Tools Antivirus free
PC Tools Antivirus free is free virus removal software that provides basic protection against malware, spyware, viruses, keyloggers, bots, adware and other malware. The program comes with features including real-time protection and email Guard.
Features of PC Tool Antivirus free edition
- Detects and removes viruses and related malwares through on demand scan or IntelliGuard real-time virus scan and removal technology
- Scan and removal of boot sector viruses that infect MBR
- Smart update for both virus definition and program function enhancement
- Warns about unsafe and phishing websites and display safety rating
- Quarantine detected threats
- Logs file scans and more
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
Website: PC Tool Anti-Virus
ClamWin Free antivirus
Designed based on Clam anti-virus engine, ClamWin is free virus removal program that can detect and remove viruses and spyware. The Ask Toolbar is included with the software. Since it is an optional component you can ignore it.
Key features of ClamWin
- High detection rates for viruses and spyware
- Support scan schedule
- Works as standalone virus scanner and integrated with Windows Explorer
- Has addin to Microsoft Outlook used to remove virus-infected attachments
- Updated database is available and update automatically
Compatibility: Windows 98/2000/Me/XP/Vista/ Windows 7 and 8, Server 2003/2008/2012
Website: ClamWin Free Anti-virus